Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 2, 2010

January 28, 1951, Saturday

Rct. Robert M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. C-69 Med. Tk. Ba. CCB
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

I got your most welcome letter last night. Nobody can imagine how nice it is to hear your name called at mail call. It is an unsurpassed thrill. I am expecting a letter from Ted and Isabelle as I have written them long ago. I suppose they are busy, but nobody is as busy as I am, up at 5:00 A.M. every morning, eating breakfast at 5:15 A.M. and that's no kidding as they are in a hurry for everything and every time, whether or not you stand in line a half an hour after that doesn't matter.
I was pretty home sick for a while, am not as much anymore, but still miss you folks very much.
Oh yes, I forgot we get out of training at night at 5:00 P.M. for supper and sometimes have a two hour class afterwards. It's hard, but only for 6 weeks.
We are going on the rifle range Monday, all day, have to get up at 4:00 A.M. Wish we were going fishing instead.
I haven't made up my mind if I should do as good as I can or get about only 160 points, 140 points is just passing. I guess you can win medals at it, if a guy's good enough. I hate to get too important to the army as they might want to keep me longer then.
I wrote Grandma and Grandpa Fouts the other night. I imagine they have the letter by now.
Tell Gays (Itha and Natalie Gay, neighbors) I said, "Hello!"
Jack Johnson, the fellow that worked at Sherman Williams, he's in next barracks, brought over a couple of Kazoo Gazettes tonight, and I see where they are calling back a lot of Air Force boys, so I imagine Bush (Bush is one of his friends) will be going back in a little while.
You remember Arie Drake, who lived in Oakwood, I used to run around with, he sleeps in my barracks, just across the room from me. It makes it nice as he went all through Oakwood School with me.
Tell Dad he can use my car anytime or all the time, but make sure he adds some gas to it when it gets slightly below 1/4 tank, because I wouldn't want him to have to walk, as I am doing enough for him and me both. After I get out I will not walk one step more than I have too. I'll only ride! Ha! Ha! If he has to get his car fixed and paint it which it needs, he can drive mine and that would make things a lot less complicated.
Put on my camera Rect. Gimbel U.S. ########, then no one can clamp on to it, the Personnel locator's, is where you can find information about where I am, but let me know when or which week end you are coming, then I can make arrangements in the guest house here. I heard it's a $1 or 2 a day, you wouldn't have to drive either as there are taxis all over the place, and they will take a person anywhere on the Fort for 25 cents and that's awful cheap. Better than walking I think.
I have about $18.00 left so I don't need any money. Take that phone call out of the money I send home, I wish Dad would have been home. Would you folks get those films I took of the kids and the house developed and send them to me.
I think you folks should have a new Desoto. I seen a new Plymouth and it sure looks like the Pontiac in the front end.
Orie got 15 letters from his girl, pretty nice, isn't it, must be love. I wouldn't mind a girl back home there but there's a lot of guys that are wondering what theirs are doing every night.
Vans are awful high on furniture anyway, aren't they? Probably trying to pay for that new store.
The only part of the county I've seen was Illinois as we came right straight down through there. It's awfully flat. I seen the capital, an statue of Lincoln in front of it, in Springfield. Isn't that where Dad was born? (Chicago IL) It's getting late so I have to close, so write me soon.
Your Son,
Love Bob
P.S. I know why they call a soldier Doggies, that's because every time they blow a whistle we come running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment