Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

February 22, 1951, Thursday

Pvt. Robt. M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co "C" 69th Med. Tk. Ba. CCB
6th Armored Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, today is a Holiday on account of Washington's Birthday. So I thought I better catch up on my letter writing.
How did you make the trip home? How's the weather?
Well, there is only 2 days left of basic training. In fact by the time you get this letter, I will be through with it.
We sure have been busy this week. Monday we went on the combat firing range all day. Tuesday, we marched 7 miles out where we threw hand grenades, shot rifle grenades and fired the bazooka. That was the 2.3 bazooka not the 3.5 which is the new one.
Me and Orie found Jim Foster the other night but just missed him. He's married and lives off the post and drives in every morning. I wrote him a note and gave him my barracks number, so we ought to be seeing him pretty soon.
Orie isn't going to Texas for sure. Some of the fellows are leaving this Saturday for Texas.
I think I am staying here, I hope so as it is a lot closer to home.
Dad you don't have to fix all those fenders if you don't have the time. I know you are awful busy, but I would like to have a new clutch, fix windshield wipers and that motor a little bit. I have a car load all ready.
I got a letter from Grandpa Gimbel (Otto Lewis Gimbel) He says he knows a captain down here, his name is Lester Gobeyn, he said he has something to do with the personnel. He said he is going to write to him and give my name, as he might do me some good. Maybe he'll make me a lieutenant..Ha! Ha!
He said he would have been down but the roads have been bad.
I should know in a few days for sure whether I'll be here or not.
Isabel asked me for a picture in her last letter.
I want to thank you for that box, everything was swell, candy bars too. The apples were swell.
Next Wednesday, we get payed again. I haven't had time to change the allotment, so when the money comes, send it back to me.
We got a 12 hr. pass today, but I didn't take one, as that's not time at all. The ought to at least give us 24 hrs.
Well, yesterday we went through the Infiltration Course, under machine guns, in the day and again last night. It was done in 6 inches of mud and clay, just like that stuff Dad slipped into when we was trying to get that rock. We sure were a mess belly and backs.
Well, write soon and take care of yourselves.
Love
Son
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment