Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

October 27, 1951, Saturday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. B. 369th EA & SR
Fort Worden, Washington

(Note: Bob's Birthday was October 28th, so on the
28th of October 1951, he would be 22.)

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, here it is Saturday night, and the end of another week.
It has been a swell day and it's a real nice night out.
We started the day at 5:45 A.M, marched out on the Parade field at 6:10 A.M. to stand reveille at 6:15 A.M.
Had breakfast 6:30 A.M, at 7:30 A.M we had T.I.H. which is troop information hour and it's based on current events and usually a foreign country. Today it was Spain and Portugal, whether we should arm them or not.
At 8:30 A.M. we got ready for full field inspection and open lockers. That lasted until 12:30 P.M. then dinner.
After dinner we played a little football, another tie game 12-12, had a swell time.
We have a new First Sargent, he came from Korea and that's where our old one went. This new one is a nicer guy. He is about 50, I bet, has been around and knows what the score is.
I done some more lettering on another boat. It seems a little easier for me and I do a good job too.
I am also an engine man, I check the engines before starting them. Water, oil, connect the batteries and make sure they are clean and running good.
It will give me a chance to make Corporal, but it will take a little time as I am learning but it doesn't take much brains though.
The guy that sleeps over me is getting a discharge next week, for agricultural reasons. He sure is lucky, I wish i could do it. But I guess there isn't much danger.
Well, I guess this is all for now, so tell Claudia Hi and thanks for the picture, she sure is getting pretty.
And the lighter is a honey, Dad!
Bye, "It won't be long till Xmas!"
Loads of Love,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment