Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 9, 2010

May 20, 1951, Sunday

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
S.S. ########
Co "B" 369th EB & SR
Fort Wordon, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I hope this letter finds everyone all right as I am feeling fine.
This weather is swell, real warm in fact, I told you I was a Diesel Mechanic, well I happened to get Auto Mechanic instead. You know that's what I wanted.
I am now going to school for it and learning quite a lot, I didn't know before.
We have been tearing down GMC and Willys motors and learning the various parts. it's real interesting.
Yesterday we had to march in Port Townsend for Armed Forces Day. Quite a thing. Made me feel important, people kept clapping and you know me, I suppose I just grinned from ear to ear.
A destroyer full of sailors, 300, docked here. They sure are swarming the town.
Me and Orie went aboard the ship and looked it over. It is real nice but I still would rather have the good solid earth under my feet.
It won't be too long and I will be up for furlough, probably in 3 months.
I am a private E-2 now, $82.50 instead of $75.00. That will help a little.
I will be in Automotive school for 9 weeks.
The sarge said when the weeks are up, we will all be full pledged Mechanics, but I think a guy would probably be a better one if he were one when he started the course! Ha!Ha!
Thanks a lot for the $10.00, as I was pretty near broke.
In Automotive School the instructor brought out a spray gun, the make was a "Master". He told us all about it and how it operated. I didn't learn much from him. Ha! Ha! (Bob was a professional car painter at Dalieden's when he was drafted)
The army manual says that you spray lacquer at 65 and 70 lbs. and enamel with 40 and 45 lbs. I got a big laugh at all this. After class I told him, I sued one for 4 years, and what on, I think I made him feel bad as he was only about one year older than me.
They get all their experience out of books. He admitted though that I knew more about spraying then he did.
Tell me about the shop you're going to open and where it's at.
I can wear civilian clothes here off duty, then is on nights and week ends. Would you send some of mine, shoes, both those pants. Maybe just those real light weight ones, sport coat, sweater, belt and I'll buy some Tshirts here.
Well, thanks again and I want you both and all to take care of yourselves, and remember I think of you all very often.
So bye for now and say hello to Claudia and Rosemary.
Lots of Love.
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment