Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

October 4, 1952, Saturday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Boat Co. APO - 928
% Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dearest Mom and Dad,

      I got your last letter last night and I was happy to get it as usual, and I hope things are fine, home and that your all feeling well.
      I've been doing the same as usual, get up at 6:15 A.M., reveille at 6:30 A.M., of course when I am tired I stay in bed until 6:25 A.M., then have to hurry then though.  Breakfast at 6:45 A.M. Work call at 7:30 A.M., break time at 9:00 A.M., Formation at 11:35 A.M., so the 1st Sargent can say fall out, then we go to dinner, work call again at 12:30 P.M., work until 4:30 P.M.  That's the ordinary day over here.
      It sort of makes me mad that I have to loaf around like this when I could be home working and making money.
     The old saying they have is "Yours is not to reason why, its to do or die."  Of course that's impossible around here, unless you could get trampled in the rush to the mess hall, and I think I have just as much chance of surviving as anyone else, when it comes to that.  Isn't that right?  Ha!Ha!
      Well, I am  going on a 3 day pass up to Baguio again, I sure like it up there, I take time off just as much as I have the chance.  We are going Monday morning, come back the 11th of October. 
      The weather here is cooling off a little, more breeze, anyhow.
      I think I must of gave the wrong impression about when I was coming home.  Well that October 30, deal fizzled out, but it will be only a couple of months more.  I am thinking kind of the last of November.  It will be before we know it anyhow.
      I am going to need some more money, as I have to get my clothes tailored O.D. uniform, that is, and a suit case, just to carry my things, I am going to need, as the duffel bag with the equipment will go in the hold of the ship.
      I hate to ask for money as I know it puts a strain on you back there, but it's really necessary or I wouldn't ask for it.  $25.00 will be enough, I won't need it until November 1st though.
      I am using the pen you sent me, it's quite cute, and it writes good also.
      I got a letter from Dottie yesterday too.  She said, she was sick and had an operation, that's why she hadn't wrote.  I wrote here a nice letter back but it wasn't very serious.
     How was the Marciano and Walcott fight on TV?  I heard it, I guess he really hit him one.
      Well, this is all for tonight and I'll be waiting for time I can be back home.
     Lots of Love,
     Your Son,
     Bob
P.S.
I am going to figure out a code and have a copy for you and one for me and I'll let communications radio you the exact date I leave here then you can figure 21 days. 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment