Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

February 11, 1951, Sunday

Pvt. Robert M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co "C" 69th Med. Tk. Ba. CCB
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

I hope this letter finds everyone swell and happy.
Well, this is the end of another week, I lost 10 lbs. in the last 2 weeks, I have to have my uniform tailored so it will fit me more snugly. It is a little baggy as it is.
Did you get the money for the insurance for Ted Lawrence.
Yesterday the whole company got 24 hour passes. We went to Waynesville, a little town about the size of Otsego, but there's not much to do there. We had some pictures taken. I don't seem to take too good a picture but, anyway, they will give you an idea how I look anyway.
When I come home, I'll go down to some where like Powell's Studio and get some good ones taken. We had a group picture taken, which I think looks good.
Left to right, Orie, Jerry Flack, So of Kazoo, Virgil Extrome Winsconsin, and me, Virgil and me had to face each other as our glasses will glare in the lights and spoil the pictures.
In my last letter I told you I wouldn't get any letters on Bivouac, well, we will after all, I think. At least I heard a rumor about it, and believe it, this Army is full of rumors.
Next Saturday starting at noon I think the whole Co. has a pass again only for 36 hours instead of 24.
If you and Dad were down here, then I could go out of the Fort to one of the towns with you. The leave is from Saturday noon till Sunday at midnight. Which would give us quite a lot of time, but I am sure looking forward to the time when I can come home and see you all.
It seems like a long time since I have seen all of you. Of course I'll have other passes so don't break your neck if you can't mike it as I wouldn't want anything to happen on your trip. And you know whether you are set to come or not. I am going to try to call you today that is if the line isn't to big.
I hate to say this about the weather here, as every time I say something good about it, it snows or gets colder, but it is really like spring and we have seen lots and lots of Robins in flocks of 50 or more.
Saturday, we had a parade, in honor of the new General, of the 6th Armored, band and everything. It was quite a thing. It only lasted an hour, but seemed like 4 hours, you know how I like to stand or sit in anything like that I am not enjoying very much.
How's the weather in Kazoo, according to the papers it has been pretty cold.
And I bet when the wind blows across that field in the rear of the house it really is cold.
You asked about television. Well, we don't have one any where on the Fort as I know of. Anyway, none of the Service Clubs have one and I sure wanted to see that fight between LaMotta and Robinson, but I guess I'll just have to miss it.
Well, I guess I'll close for now and see how long that phone line is, maybe I'll be talking to you in a few minutes.
Lots of Love,
Son Bob
P.S. Tell Claudia Hello and thanks for all those nice pictures.
I don't know what you have planned but Orie kind of hinted that maybe his girl could ride along with you, if you had room, but do what you want to about it. She's going to call you about it.
I don't like to ask for money but I could use $10.00 for to get my uniform tailored. It doesn't seem like I spent much but if a guy doesn't go to a show, and like that he sure gets lonesome. But if you send it, you can take it out of next month's check.
Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment