Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

May 21, 1952, Wednesday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Boat Co.
APO - 928 - % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     I got your letter this evening and I thought I would write right back.
     It has rained all afternoon and it sure helps to cool things off around here.
     I hope this letter finds things fine.
     I am sending snap shots of the spraying equipment.  I am going to have them enlarged a little so they will be clearer.  I have some more to have printed also.
     I am going to Manila one of these week ends and take a lot more of the most interesting spots.  That's so I'll have quite a big album.
     Here's some more pictures of Manila, nothing serious, the girl I am with is Hostess at our service club. She's really a fine person.  Very well educated.
     The company has got in 25 - 22H.P. Johnson outboard motors for use on small utility boats, and they have been limbering them up and it makes me think of us getting our motor out for fishing.
     I sure miss those things along with everything else.
     Yes, I'll be glad when winter comes, but I bet I'll really freeze when I get there.
     Well, I'll close for now and tell Claudia, thanks for the drawing of the deer and it's really good, right color too.
     Write soon.
      Love and Kisses,
      Your Son,
      Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment