Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

September 14, 1951

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Company "B"
369th Engineer Amphibious Support Regiment
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I got your letter and was glad to get it.
I like the pencil real well, I think it's nice.
As you know, I finally got my stripe.
It doesn't change much in my address. Its just Pfc. instead of Pvt., sounds a little better.
I hope everyone is feeling fine.
The weather hear is real nice, sun gets quite hot.
You asked me about my furlough Mother, I think about December 20 or 21 would be nice. Then I could be home for Christmas and New Year.
I am glad the business is good.
It's too bad about that girl, that took care of the kids, but that's the way it goes. (Claudia and Rosemary's babysitter, while Mother worked in the body shop office). There's not too many people you can trust.
I got an invitation from Dick Dynes to his wedding the 23rd of this month. I wrote him that I would be a little late, about 3 years. Ha!Ha! He's a swell kid.
Ivan Canavan and i went to the stock car races last Sunday. They are pretty good. Quite a few wrecks, that's what makes it exciting though.
I know how it is about writing Dad. You're real busy and get tired, then that night it's pretty hard to get in the writing mood.
I almost have to be in the proper frame of mind, before I can write, so don't feel bad, I understand and I forgive you.
And remember, I miss all of you too and am looking very much toward that furlough.
Bye for now and lots of love.
Your Son,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment