Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

September 30, 1951, Sunday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. B. 369th EA & SR
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well its Sunday again and I thought it was about time i wrote to you.
It's kind of chilly here today but not bad.
I hope all your colds get better, mine has been getting better right along.
I just wrote Drake and Bailey's wives, so they can send me their addresses as soon as they hear from them.
As you already know, we just got back from a cruise last week for 3 days, we ate and slept on the boats. We saw a lot of beautiful scenery.
We always anchored for nights and we always picked a bay.
There are some real pretty homes on the shores of these bays, but it's hard to beat Michigan.
The only difference is that the woods and forests have bigger trees. I'll still take Michigan, as it's best in the land. That's an arguing point with some of the other guys around here.
I am always ragging some guys from Minnesota about Michigan being best, but Minnesota has some beautiful farm land and a lot o flakes, but so much for that.
I think the pencil is real nice, that you sent and am glad that business is good.
I hear that we are going on bivouac next week again. But we are going to camp in the woods over at Flagler. It's been pretty rainy lately, so I imagine it will be a lot of fun. Ha!Ha!
Well, I guess this is all for now, so here's giving you all my love.
Your Son,
Bob
(He has sent a photo home and is listing the names of the men in the photo)

Myrop from Utah, Cpl. Lee Rood of Elko, Nevada, my buddy, Gerald Tattersoll of Owosso, Michigan, another good friend and Jerry Hagaman of Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment