Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

March 3, 1952, Tuesday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Eng. Boat Co.
A.P.O. 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     I imagine you think it's about time I answered your last letter.
     I am sorry I haven't wrote sooner but I get into moods where I don't feel much like writing.
     We just got back from Hong Kong yesterday evening and we had a wonderful trip. All we did was eat, sleep and watch movies on deck at night.  It was an 8 day trip, pictures later.  I have some good ones.
     China has some real pretty girls.
      I bought some civilian clothes so I could be more comfortable, you know how I am about my uniform and the M.P.'s are chicken.  I swear I am going to clean up on a couple of them.  I'll wait until a month before I come home, then they can't make me suffer too much. 
     Hong Kong is very nice.  It's an island.  the city is built at the bottom of the mountains.  Some of the homes are at the top of the mountains and we were joking that the future generations of Chinese will have one leg shorter than the other from running around the hills. Ha!Ha!
     Hong Kong is a very crowded city.  It's worse than Kazoo, on Saturday.  Shoe shine boys won't let you walk, as they grab your feet to shine your shoes.
     I bought some pajamas for Claudia and Rosemary and some other presents. 
     Kowloon is the mainland and it's much nicer than Hong Kong for the simple reason, it's not so crowded.  It was really worth seeing and I wouldn't of missed it for the world.
     I am sending a paper of a little history of Hong Kong along.  Prices are very cheap, because of customs tax.  Canadian Club Whiskey was $2.75 a quart. 
     I have had a tooth bothering me for a little while, it sure hurts.
     The American dollar is worth $6.50 Hong Kong, but the market fluctuates, so much and it's valve changes.
      I am sending a Hong Kong dollar and it's only worth 15 cents. 
     I got some papers also and it sure seems nice to read the paper again and thank you for sending it.
     I still hope the business is doing good.  There are a lot of wrecks in the papers.  I think it sure should be doing good.
     Well, I'll close with love and kisses for now, so write.
     Your Son,
     Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment