Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 4, 1951

Pvt. Robert Gimbel
U.S. ########
Company "B"
369th Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
Ft. Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

Just a few lines tonight before I turn in.
October 15, I'll have 12 1/2 days saved up. 15 days in November. So as soon as I can, I am going to see about transportation. I would like to fly home and take more my time on the way back.
I got a letter from Floyd yesterday, answered him tonight also.
If I get home in October or November, maybe we can get in some hunting, huh!
I wrote a letter to Ted (Klinger) tonight and told him if he didn't answer, it would be the last one. There's no use beating around the bush.
We had a good compliment the other day. We are voted the crack crew of the fleet. Best crew and best boat all the way around. Looks and mechanically.
It's top performance is 2500 R.P.M. and we can go just a little faster than that.
The rest of the boats will only rev up to 1700 or 1800.
We have a four man crew. One guy from Wisconsin named Bob Getchell and one from Minnesota named Peterson. Our Cox wain, driver, is named Rood, he's a westerner from Nevada. His Dad has a 10,000 acre ranch with 10 to 20,000 cattle. A lot of meat, huh!
We really got a racket, work on the boat, paint and etc and cruise on the water.
Quite thrilling on rough days too.
I am going to get a good picture of the boat and the crew and send it home.
Well, this is all for now. It's after 10:00 and I have K.P. tomorrow, so I better get some rest.
Write soon.
Lots of Love.
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment