Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

November 15, 1952, Saturday

Pfc. R. Gimbel
U.S. 55######
85 Boat Co. APO - 928
% Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

      Here's a few lines to let you know that I am fine and that with each passing day, I am getting nearer to home.
      We just left he island of Kwagalein at 4:00 P.M. this afternoon where we picked up 250 Air Corp boys.
      We left Manila the morning of the 6th of November and reached Guam the night of the 10th, so we have been making very good time.
      The captain of the ship said he wants to be back in Frisco Thanksgiving Day so he can spend it with his wife.  I hope he makes it as I would like to phone you maybe I can make it on Thanksgiving Day.
      Anyway, you don't have to worry about me being home for Christmas, as I'll be long out of the army by then.
      Sounds good, huh?
      It will take 2 or 3 days to go through Camp Stoneman, and 7 days to get discharged at the most.
      We should get to Frisco the 26th and if I do I'll be on my way to Colorado before the week is up.
      I'll be home by December 15 anyway.
      I am sure well, I hope everything is fine, and I got the money in time, thanks and I hope it isn't too cold
as I think I might freeze something off!  Ha!Ha!
      But I'll love every inch of that snow.
      I'll call and I'll close for now.
            With all my love,
                   As Ever,
                       Your Son,
                              Bob
P.S.
We will be in Hawaii in 5 days, then 5 days to Frisco.

                

No comments:

Post a Comment