Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

March 27, 1951, Tuesday

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. C 69th Med. Tk. Ba. CCB
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

I hope this letter finds you all well.
Did you have a nice Easter?
This is 4:30 in the afternoon and I was supposed to fall out in my class "A" uniform for retreat parade, but I put all my clothes in the cleaners and they were supposed to be done tonight but weren't so that's why I am writing at this hour.
We have a big inspection tomorrow and I.G. asked Neil about them. It's really a strict one. Everything has to be perfect or even better than that. It's really a chicken inspection, if you know what I mean. I.G. means "Inspector General" that's all they do. These barracks are so dirty it's impossible to get them that clean, and only one company in this whole camp has passed it, and that was a Medical Outfit. Then the Inspector took the shelf out of one of the fellows foot lockers and rubbed his glove along the track that the drawer runs on and gave the whole Co. heck for it being dirty.
How's the weather? It's been cloudy and cold her, today.
I have only 3 weeks to go then I should get a leave. I am not sure if I'll be home this week end as I have K.P. and I might not be able to get anyone to take my place, I have a rid though, with Frizzo and Fess and the Gang.
I suppose you are awful busy at the shop also.
I got the candy. It sure is good.
We had Engineer Reconnaissance all day today. Kind of boring but educational.
In a couple of weeks we go to Engineer bivouac again, this time we go out and build bridges, lay mine fields and things that the Engineer's usually do.
I went to the show Sunday, one with Dennis Morgan.
Well, i guess this is all for now, so write soon and take care of yourselves.
Tell my sister's Hello.
Love Bob.
P.S.
I am getting some pictures back if they are finished, I'll send some home. Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment