Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

October 21, 1952, Sunday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
APO - 928 % Postmaster
85 Boat Co.
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

      Here's a few lines today to let you know that I still am loving and thinking of you all.
      Tell those little sisters, that I got their very nice birthday card.
      Time is growing quite short day after day, and I am really glad of the whole thing.  It won't be long and I'll be the most happy guy in the whole wide world.
       We got back from a week at Baguio, Friday night, we had a wonderful time.  It's real nice as a guy can do just as he wishes, for a change.  Monday night we went to the show and saw "Rancho Notorious", Marlene Dietrich, Old Grandma.  It was pretty good.
      Tuesday morning we got up and went golfing.  I didn't do so good, I only got a 104, of course its only my 3rd time at the game.
      The rest of the afternoon we spent at the service club, playing pool, ping pong.  That night we played Bingo.  I won twice, I got some little jackets for drinking glasses and a real fancy pool cue stick.
      Wednesday and Thursday, we took it a little easy and saw another show, Thursday night, Robert Walker in "My Son John" about communism.
      Oh, yes, Wednesday morning we shot skeet's, 12 gauge Remington Pumps, nice gun but it's just like I figured, when you use a 12 gauge, all you got to do is aim in the general direction.  They have all different angles to shoot from.  I missed just 5 more than the range officer and that's good as he shoots every Wednesday.
     I as weak on Birds, when you call "birds", both pigeons come out in opposite directions and it's a real fast eye.  If a guy could tramp across a field and holler birds and have a Pheasant fly up, he would have the situation made, huh!
     I got pretty much honored yesterday, in inspection, I won a 3 day pass for being soldier of the week, by having my equipment in the best condition, clothes also, and personal appearance.  Quite an honor, huh, I just got back from one 3 day pass too.
     I'll be hearing about going home next month some time.
     If I have time and have to take my 30 day furlough, I am going to drive my car back to get discharged.
     Well, I guess this is all for now, so I'll close, until later. 
     Write soon and lots of love and kisses.
     As Ever,
     You Son,
     Bob
P.S.
San Pedro has about another week on my Portrait.  It's going to be 17 x 36.  I think.  I also got 22 papers yesterday. Ha!Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment