Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

March 24, 1951, Saturday

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "C" 60th Med. Tk. Ba. CCB
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, it is Saturday afternoon and I am waiting to go relieve my man as I am on guard duty.
I hope you have a swell Easter, write and tell me how the weather is, it's lovely here.
Tomorrow, I am going to take some pictures.
I wouldn't mind being home to play Easter Bunny. I think I will be home next weekend, I am going to try anyway.
Jack Johnson is sitting in the bunk underneath me, writing also.
I don't know about my car, Dad, it makes me feel kind of bad. I'll pay you back but are you sure you can afford it. It will take me quite a while at $75.00 a month. I suppose it's the best thing to do, as it's like you said, I couldn't get anything for it like it is. Cars don't seem to be going up any.
I see where MacArthur is going to try to make a compromise at the 38th parallel line. I hope so.
Our Fort said today, that if the war over there stopped, he didn't think that us fellows would serve our complete 21 months. That sure would be nice, huh!
I got a letter from Leon and Laura (Remmele, Leon was Orpha and Bud's best man, so they were friends of the family forever, Uncle Laura and Uncle "Dud") yesterday, said they was going to send me some fudge.
I haven't got my candy you sent me yet, probably will get it next week sometime.
Well, write soon and I'll see you soon.
Love Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment