Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

June 11, 1951

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Company "B"
369th Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
Ft. Wordon, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

Here's a few lines tonight to let you know everything is fine.
I got the money okay and had a swell time. Thanks a lot.
It was a swell day today.
I am glad you have lots of business. I know the body shop will do okay. I only wish I was there to help out.
I guess we are in for 24 months now, but I suppose after a guys in 21 months, he won't mind the extra 3 months too much.
I don't get a furlough because those 10 days delay en route come off my furlough time. I have 5 days coming, so I'll try to get home for Christmas.
I only get 2 days a month so in December 4 I'll have 17 1/2 days coming to me.
That is, if I don't get the chance to come home sooner.
Dad, I wish I were home to mow the lawn because I know you get tired and it's quite a chore.
When I get home for good, I am going to buckle down and get some where, as I want a new car and other things.
After a while you should be able to get a different car. I see prices are really dropping down on them. they sure are up here. I mean real high.
I suppose you are planning to go fishing one of these days. I hope you have good luck.
I took some pictures Sunday but haven't got them developed yet.
You said Jack is worried. Nothing makes me feel any better than to know he's worrying.
It's too bad your fluid drive went out. That's kind of expensive business.
Well, I guess this is all for tonight, so remember I think of you all always.
Love
Bob
P.S. Jay's letter is in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment