Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

November 6, 1951, Tuesday Evening

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. B 369th EA & SR
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I got to thinking after I mailed that letter this morning, that I hated to give up on Christmas so easy.
So, I went and put in for 20th of December and if I don't get it, nobody can say I didn't really try. I know you folks would like that best. As we have been planning on it for a long time.
If I don't get it, I sure will be mad, but it's a gamble I guess, anyway you look at it.
The Sarge said maybe if I put in early for it, it might make a difference.
After waiting so long for Christmas, I hate to take it for Thanksgiving.
I got the information about the planes anyway. So hold off on the money.
I bet that will be kind of a relief, huh!
If I didn't think they would do too much to me, I would take my furlough anyway.
If I took the days I got coming, all they could do would be take my stripe and restrict me for a month, but even that would be worth being home for Christmas.
So this is all for now and I'll see you.
Loads of Love,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment