Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

January 25, Thursday

Pvt. Robert M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "C" - 69th Med. Tank Ba. C@B
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, another day has ended and I am pretty much glad of it. We got up at 3:00 A.M. this morning and marched out to the rifle range, which is 7 miles out. I qualified between Marksman and Sharpshooter. I got 153 pts., which I had set my mind on. We shot from the 100 yd., 200 yd., and 300 yd. distances. The target's bulls eye is 10" across and at 300 yds. it looks about like a silver dollar sticking up there. 135 is the lowest, that's for Marksman, 180 or anything over is Expert. There is a possibility of 210 pts., of which nobody got. A bulls eye counts 5 pts. and next section is 4 pts. I got 9 bulls eyes, 34 - 4's which were within an inch of the bulls eye, and 4 - 3's which is the next section out.
One clip jammed a little and it cut my firing time down, so I just got 5 shells off in a clip of eight. I averaged over 4 pts. a shell, so the other 3 would have brought my score up to 165 which would be Sharpshooter, but my scores good enough for me.
I sure hope everyone is swell. I am OK but I want those cold tablets because you can't buy them any where on the Fort, none of anything, that is any kind of cold tablets.
I am finishing this the following morning as they turned the lights out on me when I was writing.
Just got up and we are the last platoon to eat this morning.
We are going to have classes today on First Aid and then some physical training.
Just had breakfast.
We have to scrub the barracks tonight for an inspection Saturday.
I am not as homesick as I was, the time has been going pretty fast, which makes me much happier.
I wrote Ted another letter and Isabele also, this was the last time, as I am real busy and if they aren't going to write me, why should I write them.
Tell everyone hello, like Gays (Mr. and Mrs. Gay, neighbors) and other friends and write soon.
And everyone take care of their selves, say hello to Claudia for me.
Loving Son & Brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment