Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Friday, August 13, 2010

November 9, 1951, Friday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. B. 369th EASR.
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

We didn't have a G.I. party tonight so I thought i would write some letters.
I hope that things are fine and that your all well. I am fine.
It rained a little today but it never gets very wet.
I see by the paper that old Kazoo has a lot of snow. I sure miss it. It looks real good even if it's cold.
All our company except us engineers are going to Yakima, Washington.
There's a machine gun range down there, and they will be gone a couple of weeks to quality on the machine gun.
My two buddies, Bob Getchell and Joe Woytovitch, today, volunteered for a demolition school. They get extra money because it's extra hazardous duty. It's arming and disarming lethal and atomic weapons, like dude shells and etc. I almost signed up for it, as they needed 3 guys, but my better judgement said no.
I have a strange feeling that the business isn't doing so good. If it isn't tell me, as I am interested in it, and I am always thinking of those things.
I guess this is all for now, so remember that I am always thinking of you folks and I miss you an awful lot.
Love
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment