Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

October 4, 1951, Thursday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "B" 369th E.A. & S.R.
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I've got a few minutes before the lights go out, so I thought I would write and let you all know that I am always thinking of you and missing you all more than you can ever know. I got tears in my eyes now, so I better change the subject.
We had a safety speech by Col. Spaur on accidents as a couple of guys got killed in an automobile accident the other night. I guess another guy ran them off the road.
The guys got back from bivouac today, so it's as noisy as ever around here.
We got the infiltration course all built so I guess I'll be back on the boats tomorrow.
Well, my furlough time is building up as i got 12 1/2 days coming now.
I am listening to Guy Lombardo on the radio, he sounds nice. He just signed off though.
By the time you get this letter, you should have those pictures, don't forget to save all those negatives for me.
It would be nice if I heard from you folks more often. I keep running down to the mail room but it's mostly useless. Don't take me wrong, i know that you folks are real busy, but it's sure nice to get mail, but I'm not getting much
I wrote Aunt Daisy (Daisy Fouts DeKilder, Orpha Fouts Gimbel's sister) and Uncle Ike the other day, I thought it would be nice if they got a letter from me.
Tell Grandma and Grandpa (Orby and Rosa Fouts) I'll write them real soon.
It's getting quite late, just about time for the lights out so take care of yourselves and don't work too hard.
Lots of love,
Son,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment