Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

September 2, 1952, Labor Day

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Boat Co. % Postmaster
APO -928
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Here's a few lines this morning to let you know I am thinking of you all and that I am fine as usual.
     I had a snap shot taken of me down at the studio, so San Pedro can paint my portrait, then I won't have to pose.
     Later on I am going to have some pictures taken of myself, but I really think that a portrait will be much better, don't you?
     Well, I can count only 81 more days in the Pacific Islands.  I sure will be glad when they are up.
     With a little luck, I might make it home for Christmas.  that will be nice huh!
      I heard that a friend of mine that went home last month said that personnel told him that sometimes that the army discharges you when you reach the states, and pay you for your furlough.  that would be much better.  In that case, I am due to leave here the 4th of December and the ship leaves the 22 of November.
      So, if I leave the 22 of November, I'll get to the states the 12 or 13 of December, then they will send me to camp Carson Colorado, which is the separation center for the 5th Army draftees.
      If they will do as he said, I'll have 12 days to get to Carson, get my release and home, I've heard also they do it quite fast.
      You can bet I'll not loose any time though, when I do get out.
       I am sending some negatives so keep them for me as I want to have them made into pictures when I get home.
       You asked me about the paper, it must of ran out as I haven't got any lately.  I sure would like to get it again though.
      Well, I guess this is all for now. Tell both Claudia and Rosemary Hello and take care of yourselves and I am glad that you do get a chance to do a little fishing.
       So lots of love, write soon.
       Your Son,
       Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment