Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 13, 1951, Monday


Pvt. Robert Gimbel
U.S. ########
Company "B"
369th Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
Ft. Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I received your letter today and was glad to hear from you.
Tell Claudia thanks for the pictures she drew, they are real pretty.
I got a letter from Grandma (Rosa Dell Hann Fouts) and Ted also.
He said he got his classification papers, so maybe he'll get some army life himself. Do him good. He said he's got a 47 Studebaker. I can imagine how he got that, his Dad as usual. I would rather pay for my own.
We got a new boat today, even better than the one we had, and it was a real good one. We are going to put 2 50 Cal machine guns on it.
A few of our guys got transferred to Arizona, Bill Anson from Kazoo is one of them and Ellis from Hillsdale, Michigan. Both guys from Leonard Wood are going.
So I guess I'll be here a little while longer.
Saturday, the Colonel told me that we would be here in October but I'll only have 12 1/2 then, I would rather wait until I have more time.
Christmas, if we are still around. I think we will be but no body's sure. I can't see where they could use us, unless it would be for carrying supplies from boats to the shore.
So it will give us more time to get money together.
I hope business is picking up and write soon.
I heard all guys drafted after June 1951 had 24 months to serve, not us, find out for me.
Lots of Love,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment