Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

April 4, 1952, Sunday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Engr. Boat Co.
557 Maint. Platoon
APO 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     I received your very nice letter yesterday and was very happy to hear from you.  I am very glad that things are all okay! 
     I imagine the weather is much better there now.  It is still hot here.  The rainy season is due to start before long.  It is from middle of May through August.
     I have been spraying for quite a while now and the outfit looks very good, and works fine also.  I have to keep it up and in shape.  the compressor is built on the order of a wheel barrow, with a wheel in the front, we are going to put it on a trailer  so it can be towed instead of lifted into a truck to cart it around.
     It is pretty heavy for one guy and I always need help.  I had a helper but they put him on surplus list and he got sent to Camp Drake in Japan.
     Some Sunday I am going to send a picture of the equipment.
     About that other stripe, right now the ratings are frozen, and are supposed to be until fall, so I don't know if I'll get it or not, but I am quite sure if they thaw them out I'll get it.
     I haven't heard from Ted for quite a while, he's okay but he is young, a couple of years in the army would do him good.  Make a man out of him. 
    I haven't heard from Russ lately, he owes me a letter but I imagine he's busy.
    Tomorrow I have 16 months in the army and only 7 months left in the P.I.  It seems to be going down hill quite fast.  If they wouldn't have extended us to 24 months, and left it at 21, I would have a real short time to go.
    I have been going to write and thank Caswell but been putting it off, I'll write him today.
    About my sign painting, I am kept quite busy spraying, but I do a little of it, I am quite good on large letters, but I don't do so good on the small stuff.  But it takes a lot of practice.
    Well, I guess this is all for today and I'll be home in no time now.
     Write and take care of yourselves.
     Lots of Love,
     Your son,
     Bob
   

No comments:

Post a Comment