Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

July 14, 1952, Monday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Boat Co. APO 928
% Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

      Just a few lines this morning to let you know that I am thinking of you all.
      I've got barracks guard so I've got a lot of time, so I thought I better drop a few lines.
      I hope you are all fine, and I hope you have time to do some fishing.  I sure wish I were home to do a little fishing.
      I just got back from Baguio, Friday night and it's sure cooler up there compared to here.
      I used to think that guys that chased a little ball around a golf course were crazy but it is quite fun.  I guess I joined the rest of the fools.  I got 95 my first game, which isn't too bad.
      Well, the typhoon has gone, but it has left a lot of unhappy people.  I am sending a few Manila paper clippings.
       Also a little article on the Huk situation. 
        A friend of mine from South Dakota, Herb Paulson, said he and 4 other friends were sitting down town in a bar, and 6 guys with side arms and B.A.R.S. Browning Automatic Rifle and carbines came in, sat down, ordered beer and after they were served, all the girls and rest of the Filipino patrons left the place.  After the armed men left, a girl came over and said they were Huks.
       I've seen a few of them from a distance, actually that's close enough.  they shoot anybody that interferes with them.
       When I go to town, I mind my own business.  Most of the time I go to Pat's house.  So there's nothing to worry about, so don't worry about me.
       I guess the gazette ran out.  I would like it around Football season, so I can keep informed.
       I sure miss those fights on T.V.
       What did Dad think of the last fight of Sugar Ray?  I felt it was a good fight, just the same, I didn't think he would get beat.
        Well, this is all for now, so I'll see you all before long and lots of love.
        Your Son,
        Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment