Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

June 15, 1952, Sunday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Boat Co.
APO - 928 - % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Here's a letter this morning before dinner. 
     I hope you are all fine, and that the weather is good.  It should be.
     Well, as usual, I've found another girl friend.
      After dinner I am going to her house and take some pictures, I have 6 rolls of exposed film to have developed, so as soon as I get the pictures, I'll send them home.
     Last week I spent at Baguio which is a little city up in the mountains, and the army has a rest camp for G.I.'s and the rest of the service men.  It's Camp John Hay, but you would never believe it to be anything connected with the services.  For $1.00 you get quarters and food for a week.
     They have a beautiful service club with 6 bowling lanes in it and ping pong, pool and a beautiful lounging room.  I am going again next month.
     The end of this month, our T.O.E. comes out and it makes it possible to give more rank so maybe I'll make another stripe yet.  But it doesn't really matter this late in my career.
     I took some color pictures of the camp, I told you about and they should come out very good.
     Oh, I forgot to tell you my girl's name is Pat, but there is nothing real serious, so don't get the wrong idea.
     How's those 2 cute little sisters?  I sure would like to see them, in fact, I would enjoy seeing you all.
     I am sending home one picture of a sloppy soldier. Ha!Ha!  But no kidding the uniform really is  a mess.  That's how those kackies are anyhow.
     I got a letter from Russ and Ted last week.
     I am sending some cartoons, maybe they will give you a little laugh.
     Well, remember I love and miss you all and don't work too hard, and take care of yourselves.
     Lots of Love,
     Your son,
     Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment