Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

October 2, 1951, Tuesday

Rfc. Robert Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "B" 369th E.A. & S.R.
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

Here's a few lines tonight before going to bed.
I told you I was going on bivouac, but I didn't. I am working for Lt. Wachtel on an infiltration course.
I am a foreman so I didn't have to go. It's been raining quite a little, too.
It's been raining quite a little too. It makes me feel sorry for the guys that are sleeping on the ground in tents, but that's the Army.
I got the pictures back so I am sending them home, so they don't get spoiled. I think they are real good especially the ones of me.
The guy I borrow the green ink from isn't here, so I had to use my own. Ha!Ha!
It's sure quiet as there's only 4 of us in the barracks.
Did I tell you that the guy that owns the bakery next to Peter Pan is in "C" Co. here. His name is bob Roskam. That's where they make the donuts right in the window. (I remember that.)
And our "A" Co. came back from Greenland and Norm Hetrick, a guy I graduated from State with is up here too.
It sure is a small world, Huh!
Well, I guess I'll close for now, and take care of yourselves, don't work too hard.
Lots of Love,
Bob
P.S.
Save me these negatives, so I can have some pictures made someday. I should have quite an album some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment