Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

March 4, 1951, Sunday

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co "C" 69th Med. Tk. Ba. CCB.
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, today is Sunday and Orie and I are at the service club writing letters. How is everything, swell I hope.
How is the weather? It's real nice here, just like spring, rains a little then clears up.
Well, 1 week of engineer training is up, it's pretty interesting, but is kind of on the order of construction work and I am not so sure whether I'll like that or not.
We had a little camouflage, map reading, knots, rigging, that is, we constructed booms and derricks for lifting. Jin pole, tripod, shear. It's all done with ropes and block and tackle.
I sure hope you didn't have too much planned, because I sure thought I was coming. Some Kazoo guys were waiting in their car for us and everything. I would have been home by midnight Saturday night. We were pretty disappointed. We're going to try next weekend.
I have to have public and liability for my car. Did it run out? I have to have it to get my car on the post, and registration or title too.
Everyone expects to get some time off for Easter, which we should, that is with good Friday being in there too.
Orie and I are going to talk to the company commander about it to see for sure.
I sure hope so.
I am sending some pictures, they're not so good. I am going to take some with my camera today.
I sent Isabel a silk scarf that girls wear around their heads. It's a map of Missouri, kind of different.
Went to a show yesterday, Virginia City, Randolph Scott, Humphrey Bogart. It was an old picture, had seen it before.
Well, this is all for now, I hope I'll be seeing you soon. Tell Claudia Hello for me.
Love Bob.
P.S. This negative has a pretty good picture of me and Orie.

No comments:

Post a Comment