Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

October 15, 1951, Monday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. B 369th EA & SR
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I got Barracks Orderly today, and a lot of time so I thought I would write a few lines.
About my furlough, I am going to put in for the 16th or 17th of December to about the 5th of January, so that would give me New Years too.
It will cost at least $100.00, one way and I am going to find out for sure about round trip, that's flying.
It costs $85.00 round trip on train but takes 48 hours, and only 10 or 11 hours by plane. Then I would take a bus or train to Kazoo from Chicago. The train and bus are same in price.
This isn't too accurate, I'll find out better later. But this will give you a general idea of how much it will cost.
Yes, Mother, I got the dollars you sent and they came in handy, I thought I thanked you for them before. Maybe not. Thanks a lot.
I guess the rainy season is here. As it has been doing a lot of it lately.
Saturday we had a touch football game, had a lot of fun. I fell real good, but the rest of the guys are pretty stiff and sore yet. I am just tough I guess. Ha!Ha!
It was a tie game 24-24.
I have been bowling a little better, but not as good as I use to.
Thanks for the clippings, and tell Claudia I said Hi.
I'll be writing later.
Lots of Love,
As Ever,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment