Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

February 1, 1951, Thursday

Pvt. Robert M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "C" 69th Med. Tk. Ba. CCB.
6th Armd. Division
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

I received your letter last night and was real happy to hear from you and to get those pictures.
Yesterday morning at 4 A.M. we went out to the range, which was an eight mile march one way. We marched back also, that's a long ways.
I probably shouldn't tell you all this stuff as you might worry, "don't". I think you would like to hear what I am doing, even though sometimes it's not much fun.
While we were out there, it snowed 2 inches, and was pretty cold, then last night I had Guard Duty. Went on at 6 P.M. - off at 8 P.M, back on at 12.00 A.M. to 2:00 A.M., my foot is pretty sore, the one that the shoot fell on at Kalamazoo Ice and Fuel. I am going soak them today, as we guards have the day off. And I am sure glad of that, I am going to fall out next time instead of marching so far. Now maybe you know why I want those cold tablets as I don't want my resistince to get low, as everyone has a cold, and it's pretty hard to get rid of one when there's 150 other guys always coughing.
So much for that..
How is everyone, good I hope, tell Claudia I hope she get's over the measles real quick, (Bob's little sister Claudia would be almost 7 years old) as that is not so much fun either.
I am going to have to get into something a little softer, when I get out of basic, as I wouldn't make a good walker, with that foot, as it gets awful tired and sore. It would be nice to get out, but I guess everyone would like to do that.
It would be swell if you could come down some weekend, as I would really like to see you all.
That picture of you and Dad, everyone I have showed it to, says, "Is this a picture of your brother and sister?" They are real surprised when I tell them that it's a picture of you and Dad.
Well, I guess this is about all I have for you this time, but don't forget not to worry.
Don't you and Dad work so hard, do it a little at a time, and let me know when you're coming down, and a little in advance and what week, so I'll expect to hear from you real soon.
Love
Son Bob and Brother.
P.S. It's real nnice of you to send me all that stuff and I'll really appreciate it, you know that. Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment