Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

October 23, 1951, Tuesday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. B 369th EA & SC
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

We just got back, this afternoon.
I really had a swell time and thanks for the money as it really came in handy.
We had the car and drove all around Seattle and etc.
We stayed at Bob Getchell's Uncle's house.
It rained too much though, but I hear it rains here all winter, only snows in the mountains.
I hope this letter finds you all fine.
I got some clippings I am sending and I'll tell you a little about them.
Here's that picture of that Sturgeon. I got it out of the Time magazine. The Seattle paper said it weighed 900 lbs., and it only weighed 750 lbs. buts it's a lot of fish anyway, huh!
This picture is of one of the Sargent's at 6008 HQ and HQ here, he drove over the docks up town here, the watchman told the police that he thought he seen a car go out on the pier and he said it disappeared but they just laughed at him. So he was in there 10 days.
This other clipping sure makes me homesick. I read it and I see Minnesota isn't the only state of 10,000 lakes as Michigan has 11,037.
I sure am scribbling tonight but I am in a heck of a hurry, before the lights go out.
I got 2 letters, 1 for Claudia, tell her thanks and the one from you.
And the lighter is here too but I haven't got it yet as it's registered mail and where I am supposed to go to pick it up was closed. I got to get it tomorrow.
This is all for now, I'll write again real soon, so bye and
Lots of Love
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment