Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

April 19, 1952, Saturday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Engr. Boat Co.
APO - 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

      I received your letter yesterday, and was very glad to hear from you all.  I am glad you are all over your usual winter colds.
      I finally got a letter from Dottie, she said her little boy has been sick, he seems to be in bad health, he catches everything that comes along.  But he seems to have a lot of pep, as he's wild like boys are.
      I am getting along with my painting all right.
      We have been painting the M boats and it does a good job.  I have a helper now, they have really been keeping us busy.  We have been rebuilding the T.P. boat which is the Colonels and Captains boat.  We call it the spit and polish launch.  It's larger than a cabin cruiser, has 2 diesel engines.  It used to have Hall Scott engines, but they replaced them.  The post commander Col.Woodward is going home Monday and we had to get the boat all done so he could ride in it.
      I worked until 11:00 P.M. last night, staining the deck and sealed it with shellac today.  I have to varnish it later on, they wanted me to varnish it this afternoon but I wouldn't as the sun was too hot and you couldn't hardily hold your hand on the deck.  I was afraid it would bubble.
      The spraying outfit works good but kind of bothersome when you have a variety of colors to paint, as it takes a while to clean the can and flush the line.  something like this outfit wouldn't be much use to us, although it is kind of nice.
      We have some guys that are surplus, that are going to Okinawa to be stationed.  If they was going to the states I would volunteer.
      I got a real good deal now, so like before I am letting nature take it's course.
     I am sending some pictures that I have promised you for quite a while, so I'll close for now, and i am missing you all very much.
     Love and Kisses,
     Your son
     Bob
P.S.
About the shop, don't misunderstand what Russ, has told you.  I have noticed that you haven't advertised  in the paper is all and after all I am curious and I want everything to go good for us.  I know that it will, I cant hardily wait until I'll be home this is all for tonight.
Love Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment