Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

March 10, 1952, Monday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Eng. Boat Co.
A.P.O. 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     I received your letter Saturday and was notified that I have the package at the post office.
     I am very sorry that you have all been sick and I hope this letter finds you all much better.
     It has been warm as usual, but getting summer, so it will be warmer right along.
     John and I went to Manila Saturday and Sunday and had a fine time.  We know a couple of girls there, and Saturday night we took them to the show..  It was "The Best Years Of Our Lives" very good, Dana Andrews and Myrna Lloyd.
     We ate Sunday dinner at their place and it was good but they eat and cook different than we do in the states.
     I got a letter from Jay Hartgerind and Jim Foster, Jim's in Marietta, Georgia helping to make a warehouse for the government.  He's operating a crane.  Jay is a Sgt. now, he sure has hit it lucky on rating, but I've heard before that the Tank Corp. is a good place for ratings.
     I am going to drop Russ a letter right after this.
     Yes, I want to get a new car but I am going to fix my motor in my Plymouth, as it's good enough for awhile.
     Now that I have my camera, I'll take some pictures and send them.
     Dottie says she would like to see you folks as it's pretty lonesome for her in the evenings.  If I were there, I'd cure that problem.  Ha!Ha!  She says she wants to come out but she has no transportation.
     No fooling, I am rally going to work when I get home, and it won't be too long now.  As I am rally interested in our business.
     Well, I guess this is all for now, so I am always thinking of you and write.
     Loads of Love.
     As Always,
     Your Son,
     Bob

P.S.
Hi!  Claudia and Rosemary
I bet they are both really growing Huh!

No comments:

Post a Comment