Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

July 5, 1951

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Company "B"
369th Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I just got through eating so I thought I would sit down and write you a few lines while my stomach was settling.
We had roast beef but it sure isn't like your cooking Mom.
It's brightening up a little now, maybe it won't be such a dreary day after all.
Orie and I bought a car last Saturday. It's a 34 Ford. (Oh, man!) A pretty good little car but we run it low on oil and I think we ruined the motor. We didn't pay much for it so I guess it won't be much loss if we have to junk it.
We took Dorthy to Seattle to meet her plane and missed the last ferry so we had to drive around. It's approximately 90 miles the way we went out.
A guy can't make much time because the roads are real winding.
We had our oil checked at a station and instead of checking it myself like I always do. I just took his word for it, that was our down fall. It had a good motor in it too. Any how it sounded good. So it started knocking, we slowed down and it stopped on us.
We got back to camp late, so we have to stick around here for a couple of weeks.
I guess until they give us back our passes. I guess our car will just have to set until then. SO if we don't go anywhere, we can save some money, can't we? Ha!Ha!
We didn't have much time after we stopped so it's hard to tell how bad it is.
After I get my pictures developed, I'll send you some pictures.
We went to a show last night. It was an old picture the "Big Gusher" with Preston Foster and Wayne Morris. It was pretty good.
Write and tell me what Dorthy said over the phone and maybe I can explain it.
If you send me any money, don't telegraph it. Port Townsend branch is on strike so, send it in a letter. Just wrap it up good.
I guess this is about all for now.
Write soon and I am thinking always of you all.
Love Bob.
P.S.
If they settle the Korea situation maybe it won't be too long, maybe before 21 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment