Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 9, 2010

April 3, 1951, Monday

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "C" 69th Med. tk. Ba CCB
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, I suppose you are wondering what in the heck is the matter, as i haven't wrote in quite a while.
Well, I bet the weather is swell there, isn't it?
Well, I started my 12th week. Just two more weeks after this.
Some of the outfits here are shipping out and they are getting 17 days and 3 days traveling time. I think that is what I will get. It will be in the last week of April when I'll be home.
It sure will be swell.
We go on bivouac the week after this.
If everything goes okay, I will be home this weekend. The 8th that is.
We are getting training on bridge building, tomorrow we are going to build one.
I am sending lots of pictures, the best ones are in this letter, the others are separate in another envelope.
Bob Fess, Frizzo, Hill, Canavan and me went down by big Piney Sunday, climbed hills and rocks, took pictures, had a darn good time.
I am not sure if we are shipping out or not but that other company's guys went to Washington or California, depends on where you live.
Don't worry about this as there might not be anything to it.
It snowed a little here today, seems like it hates to stop, but Sunday was really swell.
I took my uniform to the cleaners tonight so it would look nice for this weekend.
How's business? Bet it's really rushing.
Seen Bush (Russell Bush, one of his friends) lately? I heard he's going to be a Poppa in about 4 months, maybe that will help him keep out. (Of the service)
A lot of guys had things stolen today, but not me.
Well, this is all for now, if I get a pass, I'll be home. They are clamping down a little, kind of late, I think.
Write soon.
Love Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment