Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 23, 2010

February 10, 1952, Sunday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85th Eng. Boat Co.
A.P.O. 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

      I received your letter yesterday, and was very glad to get it and i am glad that the paper is coming, as I miss it very much.
      I hope this letter finds you all fine and that you're surviving the cold.  I am sure not freezing.
     Tell Neal (Davis) I'm on the big part of islands which is Luzon and it's 30 miles from Manila by road and 1 hour by boat.
     If you look on a map, you can find it.  We are by a town named Cavite.  You are right by there being a lot of islands, there are 7,000 in the Philippine group.
     My friend John and i have had a date in Manila for 2 weeks but can't get a long enough pass to get in there.  We have got acquainted with 2 real nice girls.  They have a dance at the E.M. club on Saturday nights and one at the service club on Sunday night.  That's where we met them.
     They are real nice girls and pretty also.. 
     When I was home, I talked with Russ and he said he sometime wanted to work steady for us when we could have him, as he's getting tired of peddling milk.  And he said he liked the kind of work and that is more that half of a good worker, if he likes what he's doing.  But before he had to get a full time job, as he couldn't live, without one.
     I am sure looking forward to getting home, as I am all excited about the shop and I want tit to do good.
     Ask Dad how he likes the new Mercury.  It's got a front bumper like a Buick.  Desota is supposed to have a V8 engine later in 1952.  Has he heard about it as yet?
     I guess I am very fickle as I don't think I'll b e getting married very soon after I get out of the army.
     I am going to be strictly a business man for a couple of years anyway.  I just can't see it straight to get real serious.  I can't be in love yet.  Because if I were, I wouldn't feel like I do about all the girls.
     It seems every time I see a good girl, that's nice looking, I want to get acquainted with her.  I want to get settled with civilian life anyway.
     Ted Klinger got married the 22 of December, I got a short letter from him yesterday and I do mean short!
     It would hurt my feelings if he got drafted now, Ha!Ha!  The feelings I have toward him, is why I didn't want to get out, as I don't want people to feel this way toward me.
    Well, this is all for now, so don't work too hard and I'll see you.
     Lots of Love,
     Your son,
     Bob
P.S.
I suppose Dottie will be mad but that's the way it goes.  Of course, I am sure, being away doesn't help.  I know she's got big plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment