Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

January 27, 1951, Saturday

Pvt. Robert M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "C" 69th Med. Tak. Ba. CCB
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,
I received both of your letters today and one from Neal, (Neal Davis, an old friend of the family, and at one time he worked for/with our father). I got one from Ted and one from Isabel. It sure is nice to get it.
I'll try to explain my last letter to you, sometimes I know I try to write so much before I forget it and leave out some of the important parts of the letter.
You and Dad could come down any time, but I wouldn't be able to see you until every evening, but we usually have every night off except Friday night. That is the night for cleaning the barracks for the next morning inspection. But usually a guy is too tired to go anywhere unless he need something.
So the best time would be some week end when I have a pass. It's usually 72 hours long and then I could go outside of the Fort any where. I'll know about 4 or 5 days in advance when my turn is up for a pass, that would be enough time for me to call you and let you know about it.
I won't get another pass for another 2 or 3 weeks, which isn't too long and is getting a little closer. I was telling you that there is a guest house where visitors can stay, it is $2.00 a night for a couple and the limit of stay is 3 nights.
It is Guest House No. I. When I know when I'll be off, so you can come, I'll make reservations over there for a room or rooms, let me know who is coming so I can get the number of rooms correct. You can ask directions from the MP's at the Main Gate, they will tell you where the Guest House is, don't forget it's Guest House Number One.
We are all taking the standard Infantry Training, then we will be Engineers, that's what the General says any how, that's Combat Engineers, they build air strips, bridges and etc. for the troops. But when I was classified they asked me if I like mechanics. I had a pretty good score on my mechanics test, maybe they will send me some where else to school. If not, I'll be attached to the Engineers down here. They are pretty much in need of them, I guess. so if a guy gets what he wants he'll probably be awful lucky. They say the Army's needs come first.
The Armd. means Armored Battalion, like tanks and armored cars, this doesn't mean anything to me. It's just the division I am taking my training under, this is the outfit I would be attached to if I would become an infantry man.
I don't think they would possibly take me in that on account of my glasses. On that march out to the rifle range, I got hot and my glasses steamed up and then frosted, I couldn't see to good then, so's I don't think I'll be an Infantry Man.
If I didn't answer all your questions let me know. I am do darn near out of stationery. I'll have to buy some more tonight.
I am glad, Dad, you are driving my car as it isn't good for it to sit too long without being driven. I suppose it is almost diesel operated, isn't it?
You would think a guy that wrote as many letters as me, would run out of things to say, but I sure don't.
If Floyd got married again, I don't know anything about it. Seems as tho he would tell his Mother and Dad, but it's just like him not to, I sometimes think he's nuts. Bill Resseguic is still in my company, that is of 220 men.
He's just in another barracks, I see him every day. It sure is bad that (I'm not putting the name in) can't stay sober.
I wish I were there to help you out. I now how a guy is that you can't depend on. Like you used to tel me, you need the person when you need him or he's no good to you.
How is Dewey doing, tell him I said Hello. Is he getting any better? Tell him I'll gladly trade places with him.
Don't worry about the Army being tough, there's a lot of guys that have went through it and I can too.
I'll close for now as I have a couple of other letters to write this afternoon.
The guys were horsing around for about 30 minutes the other night playing football, with a rock. Orie got blocked, and he thinks he's got a cracked rib, anyway, his side is real sore. I didn't play as it doesn't pay. When a guy gets sick and has to go to the hospital or the doctor, he has to make the time up. Some guys in our barracks now have had the same thing happen to them. One had some kind of Pneumonia and had in 9 weeks of training, when he got it, and now he has to take it all over again. So that is why I am taking care of myself, as they don't do a very good job of it.
I just happened to remember a thing that happened the other night, as we just got back from the range. We were putting away our rifles and one fellow checked his trigger an the rifle went off, the bullet went right threw the ceiling at an angle, went upstairs through the barrack floor and out through the barracks wall, through the overhang and kept right on going. They sure have the power. It was real fortunate that no one was injured or killed. Nobody knew it happened, or doesn't yet, the guy could of got court marshal for not checking his rifle.
Boy can't I write a long letter, just can't seem to stop.
Everyone take real good care of their selves and don't work too hard and I'll be hearing from you all.
Loving Son and Brother,
P.S.
How do you like that "you all" ending, just like a southerner. I am a Private now!

No comments:

Post a Comment