Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

March 16, 1952, Sunday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Eng. Boat Co.
A.P.O. 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Well, here it is Sunday again, and I have C.Q. Charge of Quarters.  I have lots of time so I thought I better write.
     Here's hoping things are the very best, as I am fine.
     It's quite warm today, but it still cools off in the evenings.
     I got the package and everything was in good shape.  Thank you very much for everything.
     I can now send you some pictures as soon as I have time to take them.
     Thank Coswell for all the brushes as they are really nice.  I can do a much better job with them.
     They are so nice Jose' doesn't hardily use them, he's afraid he will get them dirty. Ha!Ha!  He's breaking down tho.
     I got a letter from Grandma Fouts (Rosa Dell Hann Fouts) yesterday. I have to answer her soon but tell them Hi for me.
     I am still painting and am improving, a little, but it takes time.  I am a lot steadier than I used to be.
     We had fried chicken for dinner, but it wasn't so good.  I sure miss your cooking Mom.  But it won't be too long before I'll be home.  8 1/2 months left here, I keep track of it to the day. Ha!Ha!
     I got weighed 2 weeks ago and I weighed 217 and I quit eating breakfast and now I weigh only 205.  I am going to try to keep going down.
     I would have a nice build if I lost about 20 more, it would bring me to 175 or 180 pounds.
     I bet the girls are really growing aren't they?
     Yes, I want a new car.  I want to try the new Desota one of these days.  As I think I might like the one with the 160H.P. V8 engine.
     If it's like the rest of the Desotas it ought to be a nice buggy.  But there's a lot of work to be done before i can think of the new car.
     Grandma said the shop was real busy, I am glad of that.
     I see where Fred B****** got sent to jail for 2 to 5 years, for robbery.  He should of been in the army.
     Well, I guess this is all for now, so write soon and I am thinking of you all, always.
     Love and Kisses,
     Bob

P.S.
The picture of this girl is a souvenir don't get excited, we took them in Manila.

No comments:

Post a Comment