Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

November 15, 1952 was the last letter...

Hi...it's me Rosemary.

Bob did make it home for Christmas of 1952.
The painting by Pedro came, it was framed, and sat on a special shelf in the living room until Bob got married and took it to his home.  No, he did not marry Dottie.

Mom, Dad and Bob were owners of the Gimbel Body Shop, where Bob worked when he returned from the army.

I'm not sure if he ever got that new car, but I know he had a beautiful yellow Buick convertible and a 1953 Cadillac that was what I refer to as Bob's color, he always liked a creamy tan color.  He took flying lessons, and rode with Ted Klinger in his plane.  He didn't get his own license though.  He definitely loved golf and bowling...and enjoyed playing for years.

He's gone now......never to be forgotten by this "cute little sister".

No comments:

Post a Comment