Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

January 16, 1952, Wednesday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85th Eng. Boat Co.
APO 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Here's to the best parents in the world, and hoping that you both and the kids are fine.
     It's been real hot today.
     Well, coming to this outfit made the Camp over crowded, and I won't be on the boats as they are all crowded.
     I had my interview by the Co. Commander, and he seen I had experience as a painter, and he said I might be able to do a little of it at the Motor Pool.
     They don't do much of it. He also said I might get a chance to do a little lettering on boats and various signs, so send me that little brush that lays on Claudia's piano.  As it's a real good one.
     That might be better than the Motor Pool as they have only one sign painter on the post and he's a civilian.
     So I would rather do that but I haven't got too much time left, but I would like a job I can get interested in as the time goes much faster that way.
     Well, this is all for now and write and let me know how the business is getting along.
     Tell those cute little sisters Hi for me, and as soon as i get my camera, I'll send you some pictures.
     Bye for now and I'll see you all.
     Love and kisses,
     Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment