Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

April 7, 1952, Monday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Engr. Boat Co.
APO 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

      Received your letter yesterday and was very glad to hear from you.
      I hope your colds are all well by now and that you are getting a little taste of spring weather.
      It's getting about that time tho.
      The business ought to pick up more too, you know the spring rush.
      I haven't heard from Dottie in a month, but that's okay!  If that's the way she feels.
      You asked about Jose', he's 29 years old, has 2 children (2 girls). He's a real nice person.
      Well, as time goes on I seem to be getting in better with the company as, every one's friendly.  I go to the Sergeant's Club once in a while, in the day time with one of the bosses of mine.
      The other day believe it or not I got some spraying equipment.  It has, 2 Binks Model 19 spray guns, 2 five gallon pressure tanks and 90 foot of fluid hose and 320 foot of air hose.  It's all brand new and Binks.
I haven't tried it yet but am going to spray LCM's after while.  It has a gasoline engine compressor, it's a Mercury engine made in Wisc., I think, I am not sure, can't quite remember now.  It most be worth $700 or $800, the whole outfit anyway.
     Maybe I can get a little practice, huh!  It has grease all over it to keep it from rusting and i am going to clean it up tomorrow.
     Personnel has made a mistake in my pay records and I didn't get paid yet for March, so could you send me $20.00 money order that is, as I have borrowed a few bucks for stamps and soap and shoving articles and I need some Tshirts.  I use 2 a day, as you sweat so much. I only got 6 and I need at least 6 more.
     As soon as I get the pictures developed, I'll send them, we spent all last Sunday taking pictures of the camp.
     I had my tooth pulled as it hurt so bad, I could hardily sleep.  I am going to have a bridge put in, in the near future.  But I thought I might as well let the army pay for it.
     Well, this is all for now, so take care of yourselves and I am always thinking of you all.
     Loads of Love
     Your Son,
     Bob.
P.S.
I am down to 200 now. Ha!Ha!  But when I was home I weighed 210 most of the time.  There's a yellow present in here for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment