Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 17, 1951

Pvt. Robert Gimbel
U.S. ########
Company "B"
369th Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
Ft. Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I am hoping this letter finds everything okay.
I haven't been doing anything much more than usual.
We went to Fort Flagler in our boat Wednesday the 15th and ruined two propellers and one shaft on the rocks that are on the beach over there, so we have been replacing them.
Today we had a parade in honor of the Governor of Oregon, a bunch of carp, why should I march for him.
Why should i march for him. Most of the officers here are from Oregon, that's the best reason I can think of.
I guess the time has come, I am glad a guy makes friends here quickly or he would be pretty lonely.
Bob Bailey and Orie are shipping to Korea, Orie asked for it but they just chose Bob, he's the one I feel sorry for and with Anson and Ellis gone that's 4 good buddies, kind of makes things bad.
I think sooner or later, we'll all be going though.
I don't like to say things like that but i suppose we'll have to get used to it. If I do go, I'll have 17-20 days home then.
That part of it will be okay.
I took some colored pictures of me today, now i have to get the film developed.
I just got through scrubbing my area of floor.
I guess this is all the news for now, so write soon and take care of yourselves.
Lots of Love,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment