Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 23, 2010

January 22, 1952, Tuesday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85th Eng. Boat Co.
A.P.O. 928 - % P.M.
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Just a few lines tonight as I am staying in to rest up.  Been working too hard. Ha! Ha!
     I hope everything is fine and that your all in the best of health. 
     I really miss you all, and wish I were home, but time is going pretty fast as tomorrow, I'll be here 2 weeks.
     I haven't heard from you as yet, that is since last week.
     They have a civilian sign painter here, he's Filipino, his name is San Pedro.  He's a nice fella, 29 years old, and Dad he's as good as Ed Osterling and maybe better than Caswell but I don't feel too sure to say that.  But he can do anything.  Pictures, real small lettering.  No fooling, he's really good.  He gets 45 cents an hour.
     I told him what they were making in the states, he thought that was something. 
     Dad, see if Caswell will get you 3 or 4 brushes or quills, and pay him from my money that I send, and send them to me.  They can't get them over here and they want $5.00 and $6.00 over here for them, then he says he can't get them.  He's got one good one and he's had it 3 year. he said.
     I am going to work with him, on the M boats, the Fort wants me to do them all.  They have been keeping me pretty busy the last week.
     Well, I guess I'll close for now as I have to shave and take a shower, so Lot's of Love and I miss you all.
     Your Son,
     Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment