Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

September 14, 1952, Thursday

Pfc. R. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Boat Co, APO 928
% Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Here's another day in the Army and today I am spending it on barracks guard.
     I hope that you are all fine and well.
     Well, I haven't been doing anything much different lately.
     Back in 1942 there were 11 Filipinos that tried to defend the city of Cavite, and also dying as they did, so now they are great Filipino hero's. 
     The other day, the 85th marched down town as part of the annual celebration.  So all last week Pedro and I had to paint 100 helmet liners, for the parade.  Boy, think that wasn't a job, first we had to paint them O.D., then varnish them as the O.D. was lusterless, after that we had to paint Battalion Crests on them by hand.  I'll draw a couple of diagrams later for you.
      I was almost a nervous wreak when we got them done, as we started them Monday and had to have them done for the parade Friday afternoon.
      Of course it was quite an honor for the company as the Colonel chose us to represent the battalion.
      Boy, I can't figure it out as it is awful hard to get into the mood to write a letter anymore.
      I have pictures of me painting the helmets.  It's a slide, and you need a projector to see it, but it's quite a good picture of me. (Yes it was, and I will find it to post here)
      When Grandpa Gimbel (Otto Lewis Gimbel) comes up next time you can make him show it, if he has his projector.
      Well, you all feel like I do, I don't care to stray 10,0000 miles away from home again myself!
      And I'll surely be glad to get home when I get there.
      But I don't think there's much doubt in me not being home for Christmas, because I think I'll be home before Christmas.  Released from the Army also.  I was originally supposed to leave here the 4th of December.
       So I can either leave then the 5th of November or maybe if I am real lucky the 30th of October.  Nice birthday present huh!
       Well, this is about all for now, so write soon and it won't be long now.
       Lots of Love,
      Your son,
       Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment