Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

March 14, 1951, Wednesday

Pvt. Robert M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co "C" 69th Med. Tk. Ba. CCB
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

How is everyone? I hope Dad is feeling better now.
When that allotment comes home, I'll owe you $15.00. The fuel pump went out in Robertson, Missouri about 5 miles southwest of St. Louis. The Company Commander was real nice, gave me a 24 hr. pass to go get it fixed. So, I got it fixed now, the car ran real good except for that, it doesn't have the oil pressure it should, but on the highway at 55 miles per hour it stays there, at 40 but it takes a little while for it to build up it seems.
We were lucky and got a ride with 2 other guys that were at the fort. We made it at 4:45 the next morning.
The others just got out of bed and we were coming in, seemed kind of funny.
It sure was nice to be home for a little while, and I really loved that dinner.
Grandpa Gimbel (Otto Louis Gimbel) sent me some cookies, got them today.
I got your candy bars, thanks.
I guess this is all for now, except, we have winter weather again, 2 inches of snow, cold, wind.
Love Son,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment