Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

October 6, 1951, Saturday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. B 369th EA & SR.
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I got your letter today. It was nice to hear from you.
I got a letter from Grandma and Grandpa also. (Rosa and Orby Fouts)
I haven't got much to say but I thought I would write a short one anyway.
Don't worry about gaining weight, I'll love you no matter what.
We played a little touch football the day before yesterday. It made me a little stiff but I am getting over it now.
Would you send me the football scores as I can't get the score out here very good.
I seen an Owosso paper and I see Central won, but State High lost to Buchanan as usual.
We got ferry run next week so we will be a little busy, but it's a little change in the monotony.
Gee, I just can't think of anything to write.
Did you read where some guy said that if this country was to keep their military up to strength, us draftees will have to be in the Army for 3 1/2 more years.
So we are all hoping that the congress doesn't get a bug in their ear and vote it a law. That's about all they would have to do and I would just about give up. I would be 25 then. That's not too old, but it sure taking a lot of our best years of our lives.
I guess this is all for now, so write soon.
Love Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment