Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

November 6, 1951, Tuesday

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. B. 369th EA & SR
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

Right after I hung up the phone, I went over to the Post Transportation Office and got some information on 1 train and 2 planes.
The plane is really the best bet. I want to take Northwest Airlines. It's $216.20 round trip. It costs quite a bit, but it only takes 10 hours and 8 minutes.
The Milwaukee Road is the best train. It takes 2 1/2 days. With tax an dall it's $93.00 round trip and it would cost at least $1.00 a meal which would be about $9.00 or $10.00, so that would be $102.00.
Would 4 days of furlough be worth $100.00. I guess that's the answer I think it is, I know it is to me. But that train isn't a Pullman either, a Pullman costs more.
This afternoon I am going to put in for 19 days, from 20 of November to 8 of December. The 20th is Tuesday, Ill probably get home late Tuesday or Wednesday noon the 21st. I'll take a train or bus to Kazoo, unless you are coming to pick me up.
It makes no difference to me.
I'll be thankful to be able to come home for Thanksgiving Day.
There is 2 flights, one at 7:25 A.M arriving at Chicago at 6:30 P.M. and the other leaves Seattle at 10:40 P.M. and arrives at Chicago at 8:30 A.M.
I haven't decided which one to take, I think the morning flight.
Maybe I can come home the 14th. If not I'll take the night flight.
Send me the money so it gets here before the 20th.
I am getting all excited about it all ready.
I was surprised to hear you had snow, because we haven't got any, but I guess it's about that time in Michigan.
Well, I guess this is all for now.
I just got off a 3 day pass yesterday, and went to Portland, Oregon. Had a nice time but it was kind of expensive as it usually is, I wish I had known about this other sooner.
I met a couple of nice girls though.
Bye for now.
Lots of Love and kisses.
Your son,
Bob
P.S.
Hi Claudia and Rosemary
I forgot to tell you, I'll need $240.00. I'll bring back what I don't need. That's an awful lot, I feel bad even mentioning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment