Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

February 17, 1952, Sunday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Eng. Boat Co.
A.P.O. 928 - % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     I got both your letters yesterday and was very glad to get them.
     I hope you're all feeling fine as I am in the very best of health and in real high spirits.
     I am glad to hear that the shop is coming along fine, but not so good to have to work the weekends too.
     In comparison to Ft. Worden, I like this place better.  It's a little more military at times, but after all I am in the army, which is awful hard to forget.
     The dances are better as the amount of men to girls is smaller.
     The 22nd of this month we are leaving for Hong Kong.  I'll be gone 8 days, quite a vacation huh!  I am curious to see how China is like.  And I know the whole trip will be very educational.
     I'll look for a souvenir to send home.
     I am very glad you put the piece in the paper.  It makes me feel real important. Ha!Ha!  I sure wish I was there to help with the work.  I would really enjoy it.  But the time is slowly dropping.  The winter will soon be here again and then I'll be home.
     Thanks for sending the package and thank Caswell for the brushes for me.
     Don't worry about things being hard for me, the biggest thing is being away from home and not being able to give back "lip" when I get it.  I like my freedom and the army cuts down quite a lot of it.
     It's too bad you broke your universal on your car, but that's the way it goes, one thing after another.
     I know my car's bearings are loose.  In fact, 40 miles an hour is a big risk, just as long as I don't throw a rod and spoil the block.  It's still a good little car, compared to some.
     I do want us both to have new ones.  Have you seen the new Mercury?  If Desota comes out with a V8 engine, I'll get one of them, if not, I can't hardily resist a Mercury.
      Well, I guess I'll close for now and I'll see you soon and lots of love.  tell the girls Hi and to be good.
     Write.
     Love and Kisses,
     Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment