Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 23, 2010

January 21, 1952, Monday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85th Eng. Boat Co.
A.P.O. 928 - % P.M.
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     I am staying in tonight so I thought I would write a few lines to you.
     I hope things are fine, as I am very good.
     Another guy and i cleaned 70 carbines today, and i am pretty tired.  They had cosmolein on them.  Which is a greasy substance, the army used for storing them so they won't rust.
     About 6 guys are coming back to the states tomorrow.  I'll be glad when my turn comes.
     I cut a little cartoon out of a book, ask Dad if he ever felt like that.  I know he did, as kids do get on one's nerves.
     When we crossed the international date line, I got initiated and I am sending home the certificate.  It's nothing really important, but nice to save.
     I wrote Dottie a letter tonight also.  I gave her heck for not writing more often.  When she does write, her letter are pretty mushy.  Thinks she's got me hooked. Ha! Ha!  She claims she loves me, but I don't see how she could.  She wants to be careful as I dirty a lot of shirts and socks. Ha!Ha!
     Did you ever get those beds from Fort Custer?    I bet you will get them before March 15th if you haven't got them yet.
     Well write me all the news and I miss and love you all and i sure wish I was home.
     Your Son,
     Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment