Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 9, 2010

June 6, 1951

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Company "B"
369th Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
Ft. Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

Just a short letter tonight. I hope this finds everyone feeling fine.
I got both your letters yesterday and wrote Jay tonight also.
I explained about your being so busy. He'll understand.
I got the bible Grandma (Rosa Dell Hann Fouts) sent. It's real nice, I like it a lot.
That sure was a whopper of an advertisement. A real nice one. It was swell of you putting my name on it. It made me feel real good. I showed it to all the guys!
It has been a week more. How did it go, did you have quite a lot of business? Did you get the money okay? It sure was a big temptation for me. Ha Ha!
We have had a couple of real busy days. The General of our outfit came to see if the camp was being run as it should, and to see if the fellows have had enough training. We passed it, but the officers didn't. That's what our captain said.
Well, this is all for now.
Write when you can. Soon!
Love Bob.
Hi Claudia and Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment