Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

August 2, 1952, Saturday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. 55073302
85 Boat Co. % Postmaster
AP0 - 928
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Here's a few lines this eve to let you know that I haven't forgotten you.
     I hope you are all fine and the army is treating me good, except I sure would like a good cold bottle of Golden Gernsey milk, as we don't have any fresh milk over here.
     Well, we have I.G. inspection the 18th of August, some big shots from Japan.  So, been working pretty hard, I sprayed inside our maintenance barge last week and one other new building they built.
      Makes me sort of home sick when I spray, I'll surely be glad when the time comes.
     There's talk of us shipping home 60 days prior to discharge.  That will mean I'll make Christmas then, but don't get your hopes up as then we won't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen.
     Been over here most nearly 7 months the 9th of August.  It doesn't seem that long at all.
     By the way Mom, I wish you a very Happy Birthday, and many more of them, and wish I were there so I could have a cake made like always.  Tell Rosemary and Grandpa (Orby Fouts) the same also.
     Well, another typhoon, has missed us.  They named this one Harriet, it hit the northern tip of Luzon and Formosa, Indochina.
      I have a friend that was in Mindanao, when the last one hit, he was in the mess hall eating and it blew it right over.  He hid under the table.
      I am sending some more pictures of the Pacific Islands some from Manila and Baguio.  I ought to be getting quite a collection.
      Tell Grandpa Gimbel, (Otto Louis Gimbel) if you see him, that if I had a 35mm camera I could get some color slides that would make Arizona look sick and that's not really exaggerating one bit.  I'll send the color pictures as soon as they are developed.
      How's Neal (Neal Davis) and the shop, good I hope.
      Well, the weather here is cooled down a bit.  It as only 86 degrees! Yesterday, and 98% humidity. Ha!Ha!  Which is muggy.
      How's the fish biting?  I had some fried fish here, but I didn't like them  They call them "Kita", they are shaped like a blue gill, only grey, and a long ways from being as good.
      Well, this is about all for tonight so write, I haven't heard from you in a month.  I know you're busy but I sort of feel like an orphan, of course now that I said this, I know I'll probably get a letter from you Monday.
      I hope so.
      Lots of Love,
      Your Son,
      Bob
     

No comments:

Post a Comment